It’s that time of year. Everyone’s exhausted and looking forward to a decent break. It’s also the time for reflection on the year that has been.
We would like to thank all our members and sponsors for all their support, without which we wouldn’t be able to deliver the outcomes we do.
In 2022 we’ve been busy setting our industry body up for the future. A brief summary of achievements for the year includes:
- A return to live awards shows across Beacon, Effie and Pressies.
- Sold out in-person Foundations of Advertising and Media, Strategic Planning Lab and Account Management courses.
- An amazing display of young talent at our graduate recruitment day and strong agency interest in creating space for the next generation of advertising professionals.
- Significant advocacy efforts across issues including self-regulation, the proposed new public media entity, and the introduction of the Screen Industry Workers Act.
- A new Comms Council website.
- An agreement with Cannes Lions enabled Comms Council to be the official representative in New Zealand, paving the way for the return of the Young Lions competition in 2023.
- Multiple new relationships built with pathway organisations to ensure we are more visible to young Māori and Pacific Peoples seeking rewarding careers in the future.
- A 20% increase in member agencies and many new sponsor relationships.
Looking forward to 2023, we anticipate three key areas of focus to ensure the long-term prosperity of our industry:
- A focus on future talent. Our plans include the launch of a long-term recruitment brand platform demystifying our industry and providing visibility of the breadth of careers available; a Future Talent Hui, bringing our members together to learn from one another and from external experts to ensure we become a more diverse, inclusive, and resilient industry for future generations of talent.
- We intend to launch an industry-wide initiative to address our contribution to the climate crisis and bring together agencies, media owners, production companies and clients to focus on greenhouse gas emissions reduction.
- Telling the stories of success in our industry to the audiences that matter; the C-suite decision-makers and government decision-makers who we want to embrace creative solutions as core business strategic levers.
From all your Comms Council team, we hope you have a wonderful summer break, and we look forward to seeing you in the New Year.
Simon, James, Lisa, Maddie, Kirsten & Ashley.